Log in with Facebook
to track your stats!
Frequently Asked Questions
We're still in the process of working this out, but here's a rough idea:
- A mouse (or trackpad; ew!) and keyboard. No official mobile support (yet!)
- 2.0Ghz processor
- 4GB RAM
- A graphics accelerator that supports WebGL
- A broadband connection
- A WebGL and WebSocket-compatible browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, or Opera
Internet Explorer is not supported!
Lag! What should I do?
If your shots are getting off really late, or you're bouncing around all over the place, here are a few things you can try:
- Pause or cancel any active downloads or streams. Turn off that cat video!
- Close any file-sharing applications
- Close apps that download in the background (Steam, etc.)
- Try a different server
- Restart your router
- If you're on WiFi, try a wired connection if you can
Generally speaking, we like to see a ping of 100ms or less. You can see your ping in the upper-left corner of the game window as you play. You can get away with higher pings if they're consistent. Lag spikes (when your ping momentarily shoots upward) will absolutely ruin your day, though, and there is unfortunately no way for the game to compensate for them.
My frame rate is low. Now what?
(Frame rate is indicated by the FPS readout in the upper-left corner of the game window. 60 is best!)
- Try closing other apps, browsers, and tabs
- Open Settings and turn off Auto Detail, then un-check High Resolution and Shadows (if enabled)
- If you're running multiple displays, try moving your browser window to another one
- Install the latest video drivers for your card. Here are some links for common brands:
NVIDIA ATI Intel
If you're running Chrome, try enabling Experimental Canvas Features:
- Enter chrome://flags in the address bar.
- Type "canvas" in the search box.
- Find "Experimental Canvas Features" and enable it
- Restart Chrome
I can't click to fire and I can't turn!
Some systems have a problem with registering trackpad taps while in Pointer Lock. A full click of the pad, while annoying, I know, should do the trick. It's an issue that's currently being looked in to.
It's also possible that your browser doesn't fully support the Pointer Lock API. Pointer Lock captures your mouse cursor and allows you to look around freely in the game with full rotation, without having to worry about your cursor getting stuck at the edge of the window. This is necessary for this type of game.
Most modern browsers support it, but Internet Explorer does not, and is therefore not supported. Some great (and free) alternatives are Chrome, Firefox, and Opera!
Safari version 10.1.2 specifically appears to have a problem with this as well. 11 does not!
My keyboard controls aren't working
If you're using a trackpad to play on a Windows system, make sure you have PalmCheck turned down or disabled. It will prevent you from using the trackpad and keyboard at the same time. If it is installed on your system, you'll find it in your Device Settings menu.
Also, Non-QWERTY keyboards can sometimes exhibit problems, as the codes the keys generate are hard to predict. Even if that isn't true of your keyboard, try configuring it manually in the Settings menu (shellshock.io/?openSettings) and see if that doesn't help!
Are you going to add more (guns/maps/modes/etc)??
Eventually. Shell Shockers is currently being developed by a single individual, so it's going to take a little time. Rest assured, however, the game is in active development, and when new features are ready, you'll be the first to know!
How do I enable WebGL?
That depends on your browser! Shell Shockers requires WebGL, so if you can play the game already, it's enabled, and you don't have to worry about this! Otherwise, follow the directions for your browser below. If your browser version is older than the one listed, download the latest! You'll thank me later.
Chrome 49+Step 1 - Enable hardware acceleration
chrome://settingsin the address bar
- Open the Advanced settings (probably at the bottom)
- In the System section, make sure that "Use hardware acceleration when available" is checked. If not, you'll have to restart Chrome after you change it.
chrome://flagsin the address bar
- In older versions, ensure that Disable WebGL is not activated. In newer versions, search for WebGL 2.0 and set it to "Enabled". Again, you'll have to restart Chrome once you've done so.
about:configin the address bar
- Search for webgl.disabled and make sure it's set to
Changes take effect immediately.
- Select Safari->Preferences from the menu bar
- Select the Advanced tab
- Make sure that the Show Develop menu in menu bar checkbox is checked
- In the Develop menu, select Experimental Features and make sure that WebGL 2.0 is checked
Should be enabled by default. If not, you probably need to update your graphics driver!
Sorry, Shell Shockers doesn't support IE, as it's missing some key features.
WebSockets? Say what?
WebSockets allow for efficient communication that is vital for games of this type. Here's a list of browsers that support it. If yours isn't on the list, or is older than the version shown, you should download a new one!